Now we are into autumn, the weather is still pleasantly warm meaning that the lawn is still growing well. We have a mixture of sunny spells and rain encouraging growth and the lawn almost certainly needs regular cutting. We all know that it is better to mow a dry lawn, but other commitments mean we are not always able to drop everything to give our lawns full attention on a sunny day and sometimes we are forced to do the mowing when the grass is wet.
So here are some tips for mowing wet grass.
- Raise the cutting level so that the strain on the mower is less
- Likewise empty the grass box more often, wet grass is heavy
- Drag a hose across the lawn before mowing to remove a surface layer of water (if possible leave a short while after this to allow speedier drying after the surface layer of water is removed)
- Mow at lower speed to reduce strain on blade
- Unclog the blade frequently (always being very cautious and ensuring the mower is not able to start whilst doing this-unplug if electric, disconnect spark plug )
- If using an electric mower ensure it is connected via a circuit breaker
- Wash the mower after use and allow to air dry